As the earliest established university in Australia, the University of Sydney is committed to preserving the heritage-listed sites it owns and acquires.
Originally part of the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital (RPAH), the Queen Mary Building was built in 1951 – 1956 by Stephenson and Turner Architects as a nurse’s home, and remained in operation until 2002. It was an important part in the historical development of the RPAH, and recognises years of lobbying for adequate accommodation for nurses.
The building predominantly consisted of accommodation, with shared bathrooms, laundries, kitchenettes, common lounge rooms and Matron’s suites throughout. The basement, ground and rooftop levels contained common areas such as a dining room, kitchen, library, shop, beauty salon, ballroom, theatrette, reception, sewing room, music room, squash, tennis, basketball courts and gymnasium. Several of these features have been preserved in the Queen Mary Building student accommodation. A pool was included at the rear of the building. Although it still remains, it is no longer directly associated with the building.
The Queen Mary Building is listed as a heritage item under the S170 NSW State agency heritage register for the NSW Department of Health and is included on the NSW State Heritage Inventory of the NSW Heritage Branch.