The Live Learn Grow grant gives Abercrombie residents the opportunity to fund and organise their very own events as part of the residential life program.
Is there an event that you would love to see at Abercrombie? Would you like to design, plan and run an awesome speaker series, thank you dinner, sporting carnival (or more) and contribute to building your student community? The Live Learn Grow grant could give you the funding to make this possible.
The process for successful applications:
- Review the Assessment guidelines
- Submit a grant application for review by the grant committee.
- Receive confirmation of your approved grant.
- Promote your event via Abercrombie signage and social media channels.
- Submit a grant report within 7 days of your grant activity completion.
Note: Please apply for your grant at least 4 weeks prior to your proposed event to allow for grant approval and provide sufficient time for promotion. Grants may not be applied retrospectively.
Tips for a successful application
Suitable applications are those that contribute to the social, academic, cultural or personal development of the residents involved. Follow these tips to give your application the best chance of success!
- Apply early. Submit your proposal at least 4 weeks before your proposed event date to give the grant committee enough time to approve the event, and to give you and your team enough time to promote and organise the event. Remember to also allow sufficient time for you to put your application together. Applications with a clear budget, timeline and risk plan are more likely to be successful.
- Make your event accessible to the wider Abercrombie community. Abercrombie houses a diverse group of residents from all over the world. To ensure that your event is as inclusive as possible, remember to cater to a range of cultural backgrounds and personal preferences.
- Have a clear, sensible budget. Show that you have considered all expenditure in your budget, including possible variations in cost. This is especially true for events where participation affects cost. For significant purchases (such as equipment over $200), ensure you obtain at least 3 different quotes and fill in the Large Grant Supplement form. A contingency of 10 – 20% of the total budget can be included to cover unforeseen expenses.
- Do your research. It’s possible that someone may have run a similar event in the past or that the equipment you require for your event has already been purchased. We encourage you to contact us before you submit your application to request information, reports, handover documents and advice that you can incorporate into your plan.
- Make sure any food that is provided caters for a variety of preferences. If your event is food related or involves catering, remember to offer options suitable for a range of cultural and personal preferences. We recommend that vegetarian, gluten free, dairy free and halal options are provided.
Live Learn Grow grants should contribute to the social, academic, cultural or personal development of the residents involved. All grant submissions are assessed using the CARPET framework. Your application should support one or more of the following factors:
- Career: Develop relevant, useful career skills as well as knowledge of a range of industries and professions.
- Access: Attract future high calibre students to the Abercrombie Student Accommodation community.
- Retention: Support the retention of students who are at risk of leaving university (where the outcome is avoidable).
- Performance: Assist residents in attaining the highest possible academic performance.
- Engagement: Foster a deeper interest or involvement in university life.
- Transition: Help students adjust to university and residential life.
Submit the form below to apply for a Live Learn Grow grant. You will generally be informed of the outcome of your grant within 2 weeks of submission. Expenditure beyond the approved grant funds or significantly deviating from the approved grant scope requires additional approval, including an additional grant application.
This form is to be filled in within 7 days of your approved grant activity’s completion. Please note that all expenditure needs to be accounted for in the attachments using the coversheet provided below.
All copies of receipts must be scanned, clear and legible. Unfocused or unclear copies cannot be accepted.